Financial and Bankruptcy Resources
- Annual Credit Report – This is the place to get a truly free copy of your credit report. You are entitled to one free credit report from each one of the three credit reporting agencies (Transunion, Equifax and Experian) once a year. You will not receive your credit score for free, but you will be able to see who you owe, how much you owe them and whether your payments are on time or not. Whether you’re facing financial difficulty or not, it is always a good idea to check your credit report periodically.
- Chapter 13 Trustee’s Website – For people that are currently in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, you can use this website to check on your payments into the bankruptcy and see what money the Trustee has distributed to your creditors
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- List of Approved Credit Counseling Agencies – This is a list of all of the agencies that are approved to offer the required credit counseling certificate and financial management course.
- Advantage Credit Counseling Services – A very popular, local agency that is approved to offer the required credit counseling and financial management course. Advantage also offers a debt management program, which can be a good non-bankruptcy option for those who can afford it.
- Internal Revenue Service – Find information about your tax returns, refunds, tax news and tax forms at the IRS’s website.
- Pennsylvania Department of Revenue – The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s taxing authority’s website provides forms, news and information on refunds and rebates for taxpayers.
- Dollar Energy Fund – Apply for assistance with your utility bills.
- LIHEAP – Obtain assistance with your heating bill.
- Wall Street Journal – A great resource for financial news and advice, especially in the Personal Finance section
- Yahoo! Finance
- USA Today
- New York Times